Community art, St. Patty’s parade, Denver Restaurant Week
BY PEYTON GARCIA | @CITYCASTDENVER
It’s the weekend, City Casters! 🧩
Know what I missed desperately during the pandemic? Escape rooms. I’m nuts for them. And now that we’re mostly allowed to be back in small spaces with other people and touch things, I’m gonna get my puzzlin’ pants back on this weekend. Here are some of my personal favorites:
In Denver proper:
Epic Escape Game in North Cap Hill (which is inside an old Victorian house)
Escapology is across the way from The Mercury Cafe (and has a full bar)
In the ’burbs, check out:
Rabbit Hole in Louisville (quality puzzles and storylines)
303 Escape in Northglenn (it’s horror themed, if that’s your thing!)
And I’ve got plenty more recs where those came from (seriously, just hit me up if you want more). But if being trapped in a room for an hour trying to guess lock combos isn’t really your thing, I’ve got more recommendations below 👇
TODAY ON THE POD 🍽️
This Ain’t No Cowtown: Culinary Masters Shine During Denver Restaurant Week
Denver Restaurant Week kicks off today! We’re talking Mile High culinary history, the cowtown stereotype we can’t seem to shake (Rocky Mountain Oysters, anyone?), and more. Host Bree Davies is joined by Newsletter Writer and resident CCD foodie Peyton Garcia, along with regular Friday Chat contributor, Westword’s Patty Calhoun, and Denver restaurateur-turned-behind-the-scenes-culinary-expert John Imbergamo for a look at what Denver’s food world means to the rest of the country.
FROM OUR SPONSORS:
Jad Abumrad at Paramount Theatre April 17
Paramount Theatre with Colorado Public Radio presents Jad Abumrad — radio host, composer, and producer. Join as Jad Abumrad engages a new generation of listeners with audio explorations of scientific and philosophical questions that evoke a sense of adventure and recreate the thrill of discovery. The event will take place on Sunday, April 17, 2022 at 7:30 p.m. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are available at www.ParamountDenver.com.
SOME THINGS FOR YOUR WEEKEND
- 🏳️🌈 Right now: Mile High Freedom Bands Summer Camp: Registration has officially opened for teens to attend the FREE weeklong summer band camp taking place this summer amid Denver Pride celebrations. Sign up now.
- 🎨 Starting today: Community Mural Project: Check out the new community art project dedicated to Colfax from SAME Café, the late Denver artist Bob Luna, and surrounding community members. The mural was unveiled yesterday and will be on display through April.
- 🖼️ Starting today: Clyfford Still, Art, and the Young Mind: Clyfford Still’s newest exhibit, opening today, was made for kids, by kids, and aims to “reveal how children think about art.”
- 🍀 Saturday, March 12: St. Patrick’s Day Parade: Get your green on! Denver’s 60th annual St. Patty’s Day Parade is finally back after a two-year hiatus.
- 🍺 Saturday, March 12: Pub Crawl: Looking for some post-parade revelry? You can find it at one (or all) of these eight bars. Just follow the green-clad masses.
- ✊🏽 Sunday, March 13: Latino/a Advocacy Day: Gather to support the local Latino/a community in discussions with local legislators about how to inspire positive change within Denver.
- 🍽️ Any time: Women in the culinary scene: If you decide to dine out this weekend, consider supporting one of the many, many women-owned restaurants, breweries, and bakeries from this comprehensive compilation from 5280.
NEWS TO WATCH
- The Colorado Department of Public Safety plans to ship more than 750 ballistic helmets and 80 sets of body armor to aid Ukraine in its fight against Russian invasion. [CO Politics]
- It seems COVID really is in Denver’s rearview mirror. Starting this Saturday, Ball Arena and Paramount Theatre will end their mask and vax mandates. [CPR]
A LOOK BACK AT THE WEEK
- THU: Did Denver police use excessive force against George Floyd protesters?
- WED: Are $40,000 loans the key to closing Denver’s racial homeownership gap?
- TUE: Can Louisville afford to build back greener after the Marshall Fire? Can it afford not to?
- MON: Tackling the housing crisis one heated ice fishing tent at a time
👉 Find all our shows at denver.citycast.fm.