Free Day at the museum, Denver Powwow, Frozen Dead Guy
BY PEYTON GARCIA | @CITYCASTDENVER
Happy weekend, City Casters!
For all y’all who say St. Patrick’s Day ended yesterday, I counter that my party plans are just beginning. I’ll be drinking Guinness and eating corned beef and cabbage (even if it technically isn’t an Irish tradition) at Colorado’s oldest Irish pub, which is hosting celebrations all weekend.
TODAY ON THE PODCAST 💭
How Two Years of Pandemic Have Changed Denver
It’s Friday, and today we’re looking back at two years in Denver since the lockdown. What’s changed about the city for the better? What structural, social, and political shifts do we want to keep with us from these pandemic times? How did we survive the two-hour prohibition of weed and alcohol sales that sent many Denverites running Black Friday-style to their nearest dispensary and liquor store? The whole team is here — Host Bree Davies, Producers Paul Karolyi and Xandra McMahon, and Newsletter Writer Peyton Garcia — and we’re trying to focus on the silver linings from the last two years.
🥳A VERY IMPORTANT NOTE
Next Thursday, City Cast Denver turns 1 year old! I know, we can’t believe it either 🤯 And we couldn’t have done it without YOU. If you’ve had as much fun this last year as we have, drop us a happy birthday note by replying to this email and sharing what you love about CCD. It’d really mean a lot to us 🎂
Also, if you really love what we’re doing, refer a friend to our newsletter or leave the podcast a 5-star review 🎁Thanks for all the support!
THINGS TO DO WEEKEND
🪶 Friday: Native Fashion in the City: This premier Native American fashion event uplifts Indigenous fashion designers, artists, and models from across the nation. Doors open tonight at 5 p.m. and tickets start at $30.
🖼️ Saturday: Free Day at Clyfford Still Museum: It’s Free Day at Clyfford Still Museum (as well as lots of other museums!) which is a great reason to check out its newest exhibit “Clyfford Still, Art, and the Young Mind” — made for kids, by kids!
🛍️ Saturday + Sunday: Local Spring Market: This weekend the Dairy Block alley will host an outdoor market (don’t worry, it’s heated), featuring local merchants, musicians, artists, and food and drink vendors.
🇺🇦 Sunday: Immersive Schevchenko: One hundred percent of ticket proceeds to this immersive art experience exploring works by Ukrainian poet, artist, and political figure Taras Shevchenko will be donated to Ukrainian citizen aid organizations.
📅 All weekend: (Registration for) South Park’s 25th anniversary party: To mark 25 years and 30 seasons on air, the creators of “South Park” are planning to host a special anniversary concert at Red Rocks. The concert isn’t until August, but this weekend is your only chance to register for tickets.
🍽️ All weekend: Denver Restaurant Week: Sunday is the final day to take advantage of the specially-priced pre-fixe menus being offered by hundreds of restaurants around town in this annual celebration of our local dining scene.
🧊 All weekend: Frozen Dead Guy Days: It’s that time of the year again — time to celebrate Grandpa Bredo, Colorado’s favorite frozen dead guy in a Tuff Shed, with things like coffin racing, frozen turkey bowling, and human foosball.
🪶 All weekend: Denver March Powwow: For its 46th year, Indigenous dancers, storytellers, vendors, and artists will come together at the Denver Coliseum for a weekend-long community celebration honoring Native American culture.
NEWS TO WATCH
- Animal activist and former member of the state veterinary board Ellen Kessler is facing 13 misdemeanor charges for animal cruelty after animal control found 13 birds living in squalid conditions in her Jeffco home. [CO Politics]
- The jury heard witness testimonies this week in the federal trial against Denver over the police department’s response to the city’s 2020 George Floyd protests. [CO Politics]
- In a follow-up to the story I shared about rampant foreclosure in Green Valley Ranch, council member Stacie Gilmore is asking the governor for a foreclosure moratorium for the neighborhood. [CBS4]
Von Miller breaks our hearts all over again by signing a contract with the Buffalo Bills. [9News]
A LOOK BACK AT OUR SHOWS OF THE WEEK
- THU: How CU Boulder Football’s Sexual Assault Scandal Set a Precedent for #MeToo
- WED: Wanna Open a Restaurant in Denver Right Now? Start with Four Wheels and a Dream
- TUE: A Toast to Our First Anniversary and Mizuna’s Future with Chef Frank Bonanno
- MON: When the Pandemic Pushed Restaurant Workers to the Brink, CHOW was There
👉 Find all our shows at denver.citycast.fm.